Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A semester in retrospective

I am so glad I survived that semester. It was a long one.

For those of you who don't know it has been an unusually long semester. We started school back up right after the end of our last placement. In July we had a few weeks of research and a case-based study week.  3 pretty intensive weeks, I don't know what it is about it, but those week long courses always seem to take the mickey out of me. (especially when you have a prof for one of them who tells you that there will be a few of you who will not pass the course on the very first day of class. Nothing like a good old spirit crush during the first lecture, but I digress.



Working hard, or hardly working? A much needed study break.

After our spirits were most definately crushed, we had 2 glorious weeks of freedom, I almost went to Mexico, but instead ended up having a few relaxing days at home,

Then I went on an awesome bike trip with Levana and Karen (two friends from the program). We biked to Ruckle beach the first day and stayed the night. After traversing the island on day 2 we spent the second night at Ganges. We drank far to much wine and ate far too much cheese and our non-cyclist friend Levana vowed to never ride a bike again because "she almost died" at the summit of Salt Spring Islands many hills.

Karen and Chelsea drinking a bottle of wine @ Mistaken Identity Vineyards

 Then wen to Victoria to visit my very pregnant sister for a few days. It was nice to have a little bit of time with her before Levi arrived. We spent a lot of the time setting the final touches to the nursery to get ready for baby and watched a lot of Olympics :) We were enthralled by "Shuttle-gate".


Kristen at nearly 9 months!


After that we spent the August long weekend in the hospital as Kyro (Taura and Spencer's son) decided to keep everyone on their toes by playing peek-a-boo. Luckily though, he decided to stay in a little longer and make sure he was ready to face the world.

August 8th rolled around and it was time to head back to the class room. On the first day back I was hit by a car on my bike on my way to school. Ouch! I ended up not breaking any bones! But scared the living daylights out of my boyfriend and Mom as they both arrived at the ER looking for a bag of bones I think. Note to self: on next ambulance ride give injury details and LOC info to person you call.

The accident made August a bit harder I have since been attending physio 2 times a  week and massage 1 time per week. It ate into my recreation time and my studies.


In mid-August we had 2 new additions to the family. We welcomed Kyro Alexander on August the 21st. Kyro surprised us a a little by how quickly he came. I was on the way to the hospital when I got news from my brother that he had arrived. Taura did great and recovered well after the delivery, Spencer took a little longer to get back to normal.

Kyro 1 day old with Aunty Chelsea

Then 5 days later we welcomed Levi Atticus. Kristen ended up having a C-section after 24hrs of hard labour and a week of labour on and off. She took a little longer to recover, but is doing well now. Both babies are growing so quickly under the care of such loving and attentive parents.




Levi with Aunty Chels on his birthday :)

As August drew to a close it was time to get ready for the next incoming class of Physio students. Brooke (classmate) and myself were the head orientation officers. We organized a welcome potluck, a mid-week scavenger hunt and a BBQ (all in one week) for the incoming students. Needless to say it was a blast as well as being a gong-show. I believe our prof on the Thursday after the scavenger hunt were most of us stayed out long past out bedtimes said he was impressed how many of us showed up for an 8am class given what occurred the night before.




Chelsea and Brooke dressed up as "Social Sheriffs" for the scavanger hunt.


The semester started to get a lot more tough after the Labour day weekend. Electro picked up we learned how to safely apply electrical current and ultrasound and laser. We also had a pathology midterm that layed some serious smack down on the class.

A few weeks into September after I had been away for a bit and Cameron had been away for a bit, Cameron took me on a walk one afternoon. We never go for walks. I thought nothing of it though, just thought he wanted to spend some time together. We walked down to the water and talked for a bit about nothing in particular and then all of a sudden he was down on one knee! I said yes and since that day we have been engaged.

Photo: Its baaaaaack :)
My beautiful ring :)

 
The semester continued to march on as we selected placements and were introduces to Adult Neuro, Peadiatric Neuro and Manual therapy. This semester was super practical and all of the classes added something to my physio tool belt. It was lots of hands on!

Then there was the Dillman. We spent almost every Monday afternoon working on our "research project" and pasting each other's heads on animals to make the time pass more quickly.



 This pretty much sums it up.


Exams came to quickly and as per usual the PT department put all of our exams in a 4 day period. Including our practical exam. 6 exams in 4 days. Studying was my world for 3 weeks. 3 weeks I will never get back.... I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of my friends, family and new fiance for putting up with me during these grumpy days.

Photo: You know your an MPT heading into Finals when this is what you with friends on Saturday night :)
Dark days of studying.

Then we started placement a mere 4 days after finishing exams.... more to come on that.





No comments:

Post a Comment