Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Week 1 - Change of Pace, Change of Perspective

At Navajeevana they just recently instituted appointments for their patients. Previously they were just having patients arrive when it was convenient for them. Then it was decided to be more effective appointments would be instituted, however, given the nature of the culture, this is not strictly adhered to by the patients. They are still getting used to the system. Also appointments are supposed to be about 45 minutes according to one of the therapists, however, patients usually end up staying much longer than that, especially if they are living at the centre while receiving treatment.


Coming from a culture where being on time is paramount to how things get done, this has been a difficult adjustment for me. Its not that I like knowing what is coming through the door, I actually don't mind that part. Its the pace of waiting around not knowing when someone is going to show up. It seems like the Sri Lankan therapists are used to the down time and make use f it. I like having my down time scheduled. For example, in Canada we would know that there would be no patient coming until 9:30, so it would be a good time to start tacking a larger project. I have adapted by bringing my resource book in and have taken to looking up conditions and the treatments for them to fill the time. Also, I don't think 1 hour appointments (aside from initial assessments), let alone appointments that drag on for 3 hours are for me. I like to do my assessment, provide my treatment and education and then move onto the next patient. By the 45 minute mark either I have exhausted the patient or I have run out of ideas for the day. And really the patient doesn't need me there to stand over them while they do their isometric quad exercises. Maybe the first couple of sets but after that they usually have it. So the last couple of days and y aim for this week is to see if I can change, become more of a neuro therapist who would love to have unlimited time with patients to be able to get the reps in and to think more like a Sri Lankan and take my tea in the middle of seeing a patient to let them have a rest. Perhaps changing my North american frame of reference will help me be a better therapist in the Sri Lankan system. When in Rome...

No comments:

Post a Comment