Wednesday, May 9, 2012

HINT of Merritt

Today was the much anticipated HINT course as a part of the Interior Health Inservice taking place at the Nicola Valley Institute of Technology.

I met up with most of the OT/PT department at the ESSO station in Peachland. One of the OTs was telling me how when she told a friend from Ontario that there was a place called Peachland she lost it and laughed hard for at least 5 min.

The drive to Merritt was fine, the car had satellite radio and one of the OTs got us playing a license plate game where you make up a short sentence based on the letters of a plate.

The NVIT was a swanky building. Very UNBC campus-esque. Lots of wood and glass with concrete floors. Anyways after we checked in I was made to feel right at home as the classroom we were in was colder than the Freidman Dungeon. I wore my jacket the entire morning and regretted wearing my flats because I had no socks on.

The session was a lot like RSPT 526 for the first half of the morning. Dr. Susan Harris went over the difference between an Screening Assement, Assessments used to make a diagnosis, and Assessment used to measure progress. She also lectured on how the HINT Assessment was created and the importance of Specificity and Sensitivity.

We then covered the items that the HINT test covers. HINT stands for the Harris Infant Neuromuscular Test. It is a test used to screen infants from 2.5 to 12.5 months to see if they have developmental delays. It looks at they baby's motor skills when its on  its back, tummy and in sitting. It looks at how the baby tracks an object, how much control they have over their hands and neck. It also looks at muscle tone and how independently mobile the baby is. And my favorite item #21 - head circumference.

After our lunch as wonderfully provided by the hosts of the Inservice an actual live baby was brought in and Dr. Harris did an assessment on him and we all scored him. We also got to watch a video of an assessment and score that too. My inter-rater reliability (how close my scoring was to Dr. Harris') was pretty poor. But I am going to blame that on my lack of clinical and baby experience and the fact that I was sitting where it was hard to see the baby.

All in all it was a good day. I learned about an assessment tool and put it in my tool box to be able to use later in my clinical practice.

I also ate a lot of free snacks ;)

p.s.  downside to traveling so much for a job = getting car sick 2x/day

1 comment:

  1. where ever you go you score high in my books cauase your a beautifulcaringwonderfulcurioussmartyoungwoman

    love dr

    ReplyDelete